For more information please call 0207 021 0301 or email 


Find out about our consultancy projects:

Pan-London Domestic Violence Service

Pan-London Housing Reciprocal

Coordinated by Safer London, the Pan-London Housing Reciprocal is a housing pathway for people with a social housing tenancy in London who are at high risk of harm where they live.

People may be referred because of:

  • Domestic abuse (see definition)
  • Other types of Violence Against Women and Girls (VAWG) including sexual violence and exploitation (including prostitution and trafficking), so called ‘honour’ based violence, female genital mutilation (FGM), forced marriage and stalking
  • Hate crime
  • Gang related crime or serious youth violence
  • Other high risk community safety reason

In June 2019 we published our analysis of the second year of operation, please see our PLHR Year 2 Report and the Summary of key learning.  

Who is the Pan-London Housing Reciprocal for?

Applicants must be at risk in their borough, have a social tenancy and wish to move to a different London borough. Their landlord needs to be signed up as a Pan-London Housing Reciprocal Partner

How to make a referral

Any professional working with the applicant can make a referral by completing the property request form and sending it to Safer London at: (secure email).

Due to confidentiality and safety reasons, the applicant’s name should not be recorded on the form. The professional(s) acting as Nominating Officer(s) will be the main point of contact between the applicant, Safer London and any landlord.

When receiving a new referral, Safer London will first seek approval from the Reciprocal Named Lead(s) for the applicant’s landlord. Please note that some landlords may have an internal process for approving referrals, e.g. an emergency panel. Once approval has been received, Safer London will circulate the property request form to all housing partners.

How does the Pan-London Housing Reciprocal work?

The Pan-London Housing Reciprocal is an alternative housing route based on the voluntary collaboration between local authorities and registered housing providers, coordinated by Safer London. It is not a statutory duty of the housing partners offering this option.

Landlords who refer their tenants for a move agree in exchange to rehouse other applicants who are at risk where they live. In this way local authorities and registered providers in London work together to enable their tenants to move somewhere safe and keep a social tenancy. Moves are subject to suitable accommodation being available in the safe areas identified, may take time and might not be possible in all cases.

While we hope that moves can be facilitated quickly, this is not always the case and the Pan-London Housing Reciprocal should not be considered emergency accommodation. If someone is at immediate risk in their home, emergency accommodation should be identified in the interim.

Fleeing gang violence

For those at high risk of harm from gangs, additional support needs to be in place to ensure that gang-related issues will not continue in the new area. Where appropriate, this support is available through Safer London’s LGE programme. LGE is a pan-London service designed to support gang involved or affected young people, complementing and enhancing existing local services across London.

If a household is being supported by other agencies, we need confirmation that they are receiving equivalent support and risk management. For more information please see our gang-related referrals flowchart.

Further information

If you want to be referred to the Pan-London Housing Reciprocal please read through our FAQ’s for tenants section.

If you are a professional working with a social housing tenant or a social housing landlord, please see our FAQ’s for professionals section.

To find out more about the benefits of the scheme, and our learning from the 1st year of operation, please see our Year One Report and our Summary of key learning.

Please also see further resources and a video about the project below.