Adobe Stock 52478203

Parents & carers affected by violence and exploitation

Our team of Specialist and Expert family Case Workers provide one to one support to parents and carers whose children are affected by violence and exploitation.

We know the impact that violence and exploitation has on parents and carers. At Safer London we have family caseworkers, who work with them to develop their confidence and ability to help keep their children safe.

For up to 12 months parents and carers will work one to one with our Specialist or Expert Caseworkers, who will work alongside them to improve wellbeing and develop coping mechanisms, as well as advocating on parent/carers behalf.

Adobe Stock 431325431 1

Making a referral

We welcome referrals from all areas of the community whether directly from parent/carers, their families, friends or community groups, as well as professionals in statutory or non-statutory services.

When a parent/carer is referred into Safer London, our Front Door team screens and processes each referral. The team then allocates a dedicated Specialist Caseworker to the parent/carer, taking into consideration their individual circumstances and needs.

Referral criteria

Safer London supports parents/carers living in any London borough, whose children are, or have been, affected by violence, sexual exploitation or criminal exploitation (such as County Lines).

Please note we can’t accept referrals where the concerns solely relate to domestic abuse/violence or accessing housing. For a referral to be accepted there must be concerns around violence, criminal exploitation or sexual exploitation. This doesn’t mean we can’t address the issues of DA/DV or housing where they are present for parents/carers, but the primary reason for referral must be that there child/ren is/are affected by youth violence, criminal or sexual exploitation.

If you or someone you know needs specific support around DA/DV or housing there are organisations you can contact including:

How to make a referral

Due to the volume of referrals we are currently receiving we are unable to accept new referrals into our one to one services for parents and carers.

This is being reviewed on a daily basis and we hope to start taking referrals again shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Our support worker was more than helpful if it wasn’t for her I don’t know what we would have done. She literally saved us. Anyone she work with will be lucky to have her as support.

Frequently asked questions

What does the support look like?

Parents/Carers referred to our services are allocated a dedicated Specialist or Expert Caseworker. The Caseworker will work with them on a one-to-one basis and includes support and guidance around safety awareness, improving health and emotional well-being, as well as improving relationships and family dynamics.

Interventions can last anywhere between 3 to 12 months dependent on the individual’s needs. The length of the intervention is decided on a case-by-case basis and is reviewed regularly throughout the intervention.

Can you work with a parent/carer if their child/ren aren’t working with Safer London?

Yes, we can work with parents/carers independent of whether their child/ren is being supported through our services.

What housing support does Safer London offer?

As an organisation Safer London is not a Housing Provider and we don’t have preferred access to any housing stock.

Our housing offer is that of support. We raise awareness of housing options available to young people and their families in London and provide advice on how best to access that resource. We can advocate on behalf of individuals, referring them to housing providers and speaking on their behalf.

In extreme circumstances where the risk of serious imminent harm is evident and verified, we will seek to assist the most vulnerable to find places of safety. However, it must be noted that decisions about who is deemed vulnerable and therefore in priority need is not determined by us but by the definitions contained within the Housing Act 1996 s189 and the interpretations of that made by Housing Needs departments.

I can't access the referral form

Make sure you are using Google Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge when accessing the link. Other issues not allowing the form to open could include:

  • An unstable internet connection.
  • Firewall protection set up by your organisation – in this case please speak to your IT department/provider.

The referral form is asking me for a log in

If you are asked for a log in to access the form this is because you either have bookmarked the referral link or copied and pasted the link from your browser window.

Every time you wish to put in a new referral, you must do so by coming back to this page and clicking the link to the online form.

I am in the form, but I am unsure what information is required to complete it

Please check the ‘How to Make a Referral’ section on this page. If you need further assistance in completing the form please email our Front Door team at or call them on 0207 021 0301

The referral form won’t submit

If your form won’t submit it’s likely that your session has timed out. This can happen:

  • due to a loss of internet connection,
  • if you have had the form open for four hours and not submitted.

Unfortunately, the form doesn’t save information as you go. You will need to start the application again from the beginning.

I have made a referral but haven’t heard anything yet

We aim to get back to you within two working days of submitting a referral. If you haven’t heard from us and the timeframe has passed, please email the Front Door team